Thursday, January 21, 2010

engaging the reader

Last night was difficult to fall asleep, several thoughts danced around in my head. I was excited to get this blogging process underway, though i told myself that several posts a day simply wasn't necessary at the beginning, slow and steady wins the race, so I put my thoughts on paper, and saved them for another day.

I am working on becoming a chick lit writer, and in doing so I find it helpful by reading several different types of chick lit authors, among other books to broaden my horizon and possibly make my book slightly unique, yet still marketable. This week I am reading Alphabet Weekends by Elizabeth Noble. It is cute, I don't think I will use that many characters at the beginning, because I found it overwhelming and a little difficult to get into at the beginning, normally I don't push myself to continue reading, but my sister insisted, and I am glad she did because I am now enjoying it quite a bit. The author at this point that has given me the most inspiration would have to be Susan Elizabeth Phillips, she is brilliant and I never want to put her books down, and believe me, I've read several.

So on the road to becoming the author I want to be I have been writing at least a little something every day. I choose random places to visit, listen to conversations, join in on hang outs I normally wouldn't go to, just because I might learn a little something new about them. My co-worker gives me a lot of drama, which I love to incorporate into the story, of course only the pieces that intrigue me are used, the character is nothing like her.

This morning I have been pondering on beginnings. I haven't given it much thought because normally when I am writing I just have too many thoughts to really take the time to decipher what point in the book it would fit in best, but the more and more I thought about the beginning, the more and more I wanted it to be perfect. Engage the reader they always say, and thats exactly what I am going for... I think last night it came to me...

He told her this wasn't a fairytale and they weren't meant for happily ever after.

8 comments:

Anissa said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! Meeting other writers has been such a great experience. I'm sure you'll find the online writing community to be wonderful as well. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for the follow. :)

Unknown said...

I am already loving it! I am super glad I took the plunge and look forward to all of my fellow writers and their words! Thanks for the follow, and I loved your blog... look forward to reading more :)

Elana Johnson said...

Excellent first line!

Guinevere said...

I do the same thing with my blog posts. Some days the ideas are flowing and there's so much I want to say on my blog, but I save extra posts that aren't time-sensitive to keep up a slower, steady pace.

Anyway, good to see you out here in the blogosphere. :) It's fun to share & chat with other writers, and inspiring too. I'm looking forward to reading more about your journey!

Unknown said...

Thank you Elana!

Guinevere - I plan on trying to slow the pace down a bit so I don't get blogged out... I am really enjoying it! I am already very much inspired by all of the blogs I am following!!

Christina Farley said...

Great to see you on blogger! I always struggle with the beginnings of my stories. Sounds like your off to a great start though.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the comment Christina! That does mean a lot! I hope to continue hearing from all of you :)

* said...

It's a good thing to write at least a little something every day. I do the same, even if it's a grocery list! :)