Friday, August 27, 2010

Light My Fire


BLOG UPDATE: Next Week - Blogfest Participation and Interviews! Following Week - My bad-ass self back in business! Let the awesomeness begin.

For those who are in Houston, Texas this Featured Writer will be gracing us with her presence on September 11th at Blue Willow Bookshop! So you must stop by and say hello! This book is fantastic and she is awesome as well!! Be sure to purchase the book from Blue Willow so you can get it signed! If you have questions just shoot me an email!

Featured Writer: Sophie Jordan

Debuting her novel Firelight in Sept 7th 2010

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

1. First off for those who don’t know you are already a published author and have a few adult novels out. Care to share a little bit about them?

I’ve been writing historical romance and paranormal romance for a several years now. Clearly, romance is what I do. What I read, what I write, what I love.
It’s really no surprise that there is a romance at the center of my first YA.

2. I love that Jacinda can breathe fire, what a cool power to have! Where did this idea come from? Have you always wanted to breathe fire? (PS there are more than just fire breathers in this book!)

I guess the idea followed immediately on the heels of deciding that my heroine is a descendant from dragons. The ability to breathe fire just flashed into my head as a natural connection to dragons. And once it hit me, I knew I was on to something good. So good I decided to make her even more special by making her the last fire-breather of her kind.

3. How did you come up with the names for your characters?

Well, the human names were fairly ordinary picks, but the draki names I gave a little more thought. They needed to be a tad exotic … since they didn’t belong to humans. I wanted draki names to sound a little “old”, too. And of course they have to “fit” the character. Sometimes you just know when a name works for the character in your mind. I knew Jacinda’s name immediately. It had been lurking in the back of my mind for a few years waiting for the right character.

4. When do you realize you wanted to be a writer?

Probably in the seventh grade when I tried to write my own version of a Sweet Valley High book!

5. How long did it take you to write you first novel? Was it accepted by an agent?

I probably spent a few months writing it, then I revised off and how over the course of the following year … all the while actively submitting it to agents and working on a new project. I signed with an agent probably two years after I wrote that first book. And yes, miraculously, it was that first book I wrote that she sold.

PS - Firelight has been optioned for film! And the film company has asked for my input/involvement regarding the adaption of the book. That’s been somewhat hush-hush news I’ve been sitting on. Really excited!

6. What is a day in the life of Sophie Jordan like?

Oh, wow. Not all that glamorous. Here’s an average day:

I have two young kids to deal with on top of writing 5-10 pages a day, possibly revising or working on copyedits, running an online presence, checking emails, FB, twitter, taking calls from agents or editors, trying to hit the gym, cooking dinner, bathing kids, homework, picking up the house the 2yr old destroyed, and then after all that, I sit on the couch (hopefully!) and watch some TV with the hubby.

Fun & Random Questions

Favorite bookshop – KATY BUDGET BOOKS
Favorite place to eat – HUNGRY’s
Salty or Sweet – Both combined.
Favorite ice cream – Any peanut butterish flavor
Favorite book series – Hunger Games
Dragons or Dinosaurs – Ha! Dragons.
Chick flick or horror – Horror
Person who most inspires you – My father
Snow or rain – Rain
Favorite place to write – My patio
Favorite treat while writing – Chips and guac!

Be sure to visit Sophie's website!! Check out her novel too! I've read Firelight and it was a very magical and romantic world! You will NOT be disappointed!

15 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

Another great interview! I love the this-or-that at the end.

Have yourself a fabulous weekend!

Matthew MacNish said...

Okay, so I totally ripped off your this or that random questions at the end idea for my interview today ... but ... I gave you credit AND linked to your blog, so that's okay. Right?

I hope so, I didn't think to ask first.

Anyway great interview as usual! Thanks Jen and Sophie.

Misha Gerrick said...

Wow that sounds like an awesome book!

Have a great weekend all

Laura S. said...

I can't wait to read Firelight!!! The premise is super awesome! Dragons rock!

And, wow, Sophie's day is PACKED! I don't know how these writer parents do it all! It's amazing.

Jillian said...

Have a great weekend!!!!

Crystal Cook said...

Great interview Jen, it's always inspiring to me to read about how published authors work. I am DYING to read this book!!

Rose Cooper said...

Yay for another great interview, Jen! You are a pro :) And this book sounds fab. You really hit some great authors and their books this week *wink, wink* I'm glad this book is released soon because I'm looking forward to reading it.

Jemi Fraser said...

Great interview - sounds like a fantastic book! Can't wait :)

Unknown said...

Another great success story! Thanks for sharing!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Aw, I like her even more now!! I'm so excited about the film rights! I hope it gets made. How incredibly cool that would be!! Great interview, Jen!

The Words Crafter said...

Wow, this sounds really good, thanks for the heads up!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss jen and miss sophie! i like this interview lots. it made me real happy that miss sophie started writing young cause it makes me think i could some day write a really good book. wow breathing fire is sooo cool or i guess i need to say hot. haha. but yikes i bet is could make your nose burn and your mouth taste like you ate a bunch of charcoal. i hope im old enough for this book cause it sounds really neat and neater that its gonna be a movie.
...hugs from lenny

Anonymous said...

Very enjoyable. Thanks for this.

All the best from Boonie

Unknown said...

YAY! I am excited about this one can't wait!! Great interview!

Amy Holder said...

Another great interview, Jen! Firelight sounds very cool. And how awesome is it that it's optioned for a movie already?!?! I checked out Sophie's website and watched the trailer, and am so excited to read it!